Assessment of Game

The game I played is Horse Master. I was amazed by the elegant way it was structured. Especially in the beginning of the game, there is a good combination of fictions like storytelling texts and game instructions. For example, this game's first goal is to make the player to pick and buy a horse. However, the game doesn't do it linearly. It doesn't just ask the player to buy and pay and that's the end. Instead, it embedded contexts of the world into this. It demonstrates propagandas from the radio and TV that the player heard on buses and his home. The underlying feeling and structure of the world are even implied by the reaction the player got from horse salesman.

What the game connects me most is that one big part of the game is horse breeding. There is a little pixel picture in the game when it is horse breeding time, too. The picture's color scheme gets darker and bluer, indicating the pass of the day. This arouse such a nostalgic feeling in me. It reminds me of little web page games that I played when I was in primary school. I remember one game I played in primary school in which the player is a young adult in ancient China who needs to study and develop a variety of skills (art, music, and writing poetry) to reach the goal of working for the Chinese emperor and getting a girlfriend. It has a really similar webpage outlook like the horse breeding webpage. Day and time pass while the picture's color scheme becomes darker and darker. Different choices of action enhance different qualities' values.

I think this game could be adapted to a film or a comic. One change that definitely needs to be made is to cut down the time breeding the horse. In the game it requires 20 days to breed the horse and each day is almost the same. It's impossible to show 20 days of identical horse-breeding in a film or comic because otherwise the audience would get bored. However, I think a film or a comic can be a good adaption because it can vividly depict the world the character lives in with imagery and therefore bring the audience closer to the world created by the author.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enchanted Forest Final